There is nothing that makes me happier when the weather gets cool than a good bowl of soup, and truth is, there is really only one kind of soup that I crave and it’s this one.
This soup is savory, sweet, filling, flavorful, yet somewhat light… too many words, but basically it’s fantastic. There are a lot of ingredients, so when I make this soup, I make a lot of it and enjoy the leftovers for days and freeze some for perfect meals whenever the weather gets cool again.
- 1 onion chopped
- Olive Oil
- 3 chicken breasts sliced
- 1 -2 TBSP fresh (or frozen) ground ginger
- 2 11oz containers of cooking grade coconutmilk- I use So Delicious brand
- 2 – 3TBSP of your favorite curry powder
- 2 TBSP date sugar (or brown sugar)
- 2 delicata squash (or 1 butternut squash peeled) and cut up
- 1 cauliflower (checked for bugs)
- 2 carrots peeled and cut
- 2 pieces of fresh lemon grass cut in half lengthwise
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro washed and checked for bugs
- 2 32oz boxes of vegetable or chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 bundle of green onions
- 3 Limes
In a big soup pot sautee the onions in your favorite cooking oil (I used olive) and almost immediately add the sliced chicken breast and one carton of coconut milk, curry powder, ginger, and sweetner of your choice. As the chicken cooks, finish preparing the other vegetables and add them to the pot: Wash, cut, and de-seed the delicata squash (the great thing about this squash is you can eat the peel!), check and cut the cauliflower, wash, peel, and cut the carrots, wash, check and rip the cilantro, and cut the two pieces of lemongrass.
Add the 2 boxes of soup stock (Tabachnick is generally easy to find at your local grocery). Heat over medium heat until the squash and carrots are fork tender. To finish the soup off, add some fresh green onions, the juice of 3 limes, and the second carton of coconut milk. Add any additional salt, curry powder, or sweeter to balance out any flavors. Enjoy!